General Division

Resource and Planning Stream
Contact  |  Accessibility  |  Disclaimer

Making an application or appeal

The Resource Planning Stream has both Originating and Review functions (Applications and Appeals) under the different pieces of legislation in its jurisdiction.

Originating Applications can include civil enforcement proceedings (such as under Section 64 of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993; Section 48 of the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994; Section 96 of the Strata Titles Act 1998) or applications under the Neighbourhood Disputes About Plants Act 2017.

Reviews and Appeals can include planning appeals under the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993.

The Tribunal has published information sheets about the range of applications and processes of the Tribunal, to assist you in filing your application or appeal under the relevant legislation.

The Tribunal has also issued Practice Directions. These must be complied with and you should ensure you have read them.

If you are looking for general information about lodging proceedings you should read Information Sheet 2 and Practice Direction 1 (links).

There are special requirements for some types of proceedings. Information sheets are available in relation to them and you should read those documents to assist you.

You should note:

  • Any appeal or application must be made using the approved form. Those forms are available under the side tab on this page.
  • Most appeals and applications require payment of a fee. You should check if a fee is applicable. You can seek a waiver or reduction of a fee. The Information Sheets and Practice Directions explain the process for seeking a waiver or reduction.
  • Time frames are often set for filing appeals in the Resource Planning Stream. You should have close regard to any timeframes that have been included in any notification letters sent to you. If you fail to file your appeal within the required time, your appeal will not be valid. There is a process to seek an extension of time. Information about seeking an extension of time can be found in Practice Direction 1 and Information Sheet 2.

If you require assistance you can contact the Tribunal Registry.

Please read the TASCAT Service Charter that sets out how Tribunal staff can assist you.

The Resource Planning Stream also has a list of professionals who offer a free initial, 15-minute consultation over the telephone on referral from the Tribunal Registry. If you would like to use this service, you can ring the Tribunal Registry and you will be provided with one or two referrals.